Saturday, July 6, 2019

Innocuous

Caught in the middle
A quagmire, too dense to read
Options not readily available

One road is true, protected, innocuous
The other obscure, ambiguous, a conundrum
Do I take one of these roads, or go back?

I know what is behind, where I’ve been
The easy path, no rough trails back then
The sun was at my back, no forks in the road

I am propelled forward by a force stronger than me
I am not pulled in other direction
The journey is mine, the decision mine

I am stumbling, blindly and apprehensively
This feeling, a new concept that betrays me
And leaves me dismayed and demoralized

I know I can’t stay here, in the middle
There is nothing here, nothing behind, only forward
There will be no going back and I will not cower here

So I continue, headlong into what?
Either into harmony, peace, repose
Or into dissension, disappointment, disbelief
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments: