Friday, August 14, 2020

exclamation

When I was a little girl
Playing with dolls and siblings
Wanted to be Barbie because
She had Ken and all the cool stuff
An image for a perfect future

When I was a teen and my life expanded
Hanging with my friends at the Freeze
Weekends full of dances and dates
Driving a stick and sleeping in late
My future was an algebra equation

When I was in my twenties
Had the world by the tail
A golden time, everything shiny and new
Happy with life, family, you
My future was a dream

Those days are long past
I am at a crossroad with no clear sign
Sometimes feeling like a child again
Kiss the hurt mom, make it disappear
My future is a question mark

Can you give me what I need?
Can you be what I’m looking for?
Can you kiss the hurt and make it heal?
Can you erase the question mark?
Leaving instead an exclamation!
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments: