Monday, November 29, 2021

game

it started as a game 
a game without the rules 
invented as we went along
that’s how it was with you 

excitement slowly building 
a stairway winding up 
maybe we climbed to quickly 
I never looked closeup 

should have left out feelings 
and kept it as a sport 
before it got to serious
and I found that I fell short 

need a different perspective 
need to get a grip 
need to rethink all of this 
stop shooting from the hip 

you weren’t the only player 
you are not to blame 
going in with eyes wide open 
culpability is the same

I think it’s time to walk away 
my purpose has been served
there’s nothing going forward 
now that the road has swerved

the memories I take with me 
bittersweet at best keeping 
feelings I keep close to me 
but aborting all the rest

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously great write. These feelings are shared by many