Monday, May 13, 2019

beggars whispered plea

I need to find the place
where understanding doesn't ache
where memories no longer burn
and my soul no longer quakes

no evidence that's left
from my beggars whispered pleas
I dreamed it way too late
no escape from the debris

I still can see his face
his words still burn in me
my heart won't cease from breaking
these barbed wire encased schemes

as I turned the other cheek
I just wasn't quick enough
you'd already turned your back
you'd already called my bluff

as I drink the acrid coffee
and the evening bleeds to light
another day dawns empty
after another sleepless night
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you do find a place "where memories no longer burn," I hope you'll send the address. I've been searching for it too. This is an outstanding write -- gets right to the heart of it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome write. Will be reading it again. Especially like the last verse.

E. A. P. said...

elusive sleep, vaporous slumber
whose delirium spell I dare not fall under....