Tuesday, October 10, 2023

lessons

you taught me things 
the lessons I learned well 
it's not that I'm not smart 
you know I'm quick as hell
an enigma to my friends
at most things I excel 

you taught me how to smile 
at the silliest things 
to enjoy a smooth latte 
it's a Starbucks thing 
and to enjoy a love 
the kind that your heart brings 

you taught me how to dance
as time moved too fast 
I knew you were here for now 
not how long we could last 
when the dance was over 
is when you turned your back 

the lesson I learned best 
was learned after you were gone 
no longer hearing you sing 
any of my favorite songs
the breaking of my heart 
that just keeps stretching on
Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although sad, this poem is well written.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this.