Thursday, July 9, 2020

Midwest

I grew up in the Midwest, living in the country
amongst the cows and fields of corn and soy bean
without close neighbors
my siblings were my playmates and best friends
sweet memories include:
my siblings, still
my first kiss
dances on Friday nights
hometown football games
hanging out at the Tastee Freeze
sleep-overs and camping out under the stars

today, as I pack to go back
the memories flood, the roots still buried deeply
although I now live 2000 miles away
and my Midwestern hometown has changed so much
I look forward to reconnecting,
to revisiting and maybe reliving
all that made me who I am today
a farm town, Midwest girl at heart
in southwestern boots and jeans
who has come home for a little while
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who says you can't go back home? Nice piece of poetry. Well done. I enjoyed and took a trip down my own memory lane to a midwestern upbringing myself. Thanks for the journey.