Thursday, July 16, 2020

rust

in spite of my heart that lays in the open
in spite of the love irrevocably broken
I hitched to a star that shoots from the sky
and all I imagined I saw in your eyes

you saw the future and that I was in trouble
as you sang about the light at the end of your tunnel
the lyrics were vague and I know not for me
but I hung on each word and continued to read

it all fell apart and started to fray
a polaroid that is blurred and time will fade
I pen the same thoughts but in different words
in case you are listening and still haven't heard

I interview each prospect and things it could mean
each one leaves me wanting and lacks what I need
I'm stumbling forward as I give it two shots
and even on my best day, I yearn for what's lost

you tell me to hope, not give up on a belief
you ply me with truth, like the friend that I need
I drink from your cup, and pretend all of these things
as dreams corrode with rust and fantasy intervenes
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

No comments: