Wednesday, November 27, 2019

I do believe

I watched it all go up in smoke
the fire kindled with words you spoke
written for the world to see
blowing through the leafless trees
nothing of it came to be

wrapped in velvet and put away
with the news from yesterday
thoughts that reappear as dreams
spilling from my memory's seam
in my sleep a soundless scream

the clock ticks away the midnight hour
sleep falls away in my morning shower
I send it back where it belongs
that part of you that is long gone
while dark clouds wait for the dawn

morning coffee tastes the same
grounds in the bottom that still remain
a taste that now is bittersweet
those mornings you shared with me
nothing grows from what's skin deep
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

No comments: