Monday, August 2, 2021

dusk and dawn

mistletoe choking the mesquite
rambling, aimless through dense trees
jackrabbits, taller than my knees
dust and pollen make me sneeze

layers of clothes to keep me warm
bees are buzzing in a swarm
weather clear, no chance of storms
lets head this way you inform

scouting for javalina tracks
I think they're way behind our backs
avoiding all the desert cracks
adjusting straps on my backpack

for one week we hit the trails
morning, evening without fail
sometimes slowly like a snail
kicking up the coveys of quail

but that season's come and gone
we see deer and baby fawn
knowing soon we'll sing their song
you and I, at dusk and dawn
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

No comments: