Wednesday, September 25, 2024

the brink

sometimes, my soul flickers
like a candle in the breeze
grasping at straws to reason
but in the reasoning creeps
standing at a crossroad
where hope and reason meet
one path will hold victory
the other strong defeat

the echoes of the numbness
from silence to extreme
from shadows in the sunlight
to a night with no moon beams
the world that once did prosper
so shiny, it did gleam
slides down the slippery slope
along with American dreams

the storm of all mankind
who surely mean no harm
as callousness spreads thickly
on what has lost its charm
silence, they say quickly
lay down those firearms
we're here to protect you
no need for that alarm

still my mind roams freely
as I jot shit down in ink
it may come back to bite me
when I'm not allowed to think
"it isn't what I wanted"
they shush without a blink
and everything is crooked
that's pushed over the brink
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

No comments: