Sunday, July 28, 2019

Words Spoken

He said “I’ll see you tomorrow”
She responds “yes, you will”
He smiles at her back as she walks away
She hums to herself as she leaves

But tomorrow is an uncertainty
Seconds that turn to minutes
Minutes of wasted time
Hours that once gone can never be retrieved

He calls her just as she is getting into her car
“I forgot to tell you I love you” he says
“I love you too” she replies
“I want you to take that with you” he responds

She takes the words spoken
Puts them in her heart
And turns the key
Locking them inside forever
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'words are a listless treasure, taken into the vaults of reflection and guarded by the sentinels of memory' - Chief Sacinac, of the Illini