Wednesday, July 24, 2024

dreams are just for dreaming

I slip in past the smoke screen
hitting just a little too close 
night vision is a bonus 
I see you as you doze
no different from what I discovered 
some things will never change 
and I leave you like I found you 
with nothing rearranged 

I can see you on the road 
your thumb out, hitchin a ride
I was carrying a heavy load
construction made a difficult drive
no places on the shoulder 
no pull off posted by sign
I stop in the middle of the street 
getting ticketed for my time 

dreams are just for dreaming 
clandestine just the same 
real life is for real living 
not framing in a picture frame 
you take what He hands down 
trying to ace the tests 
you do with it what you can 
then stow it with all the rest 

here I stand on solid ground 
as the world spins round and round 
it's my competitive nature
that won't let me back down 
I once took my best shot 
got a ribbon for second place 
but I was in the running 
I accept my trophy with grace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The grace behind the glory. All the words in the right place, the rhymes, the ideals. Good job!