Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4th

they gave me a lei of red, white and blue
and a neon bracelet that glowed in dark
when the sun went down and the stars came out
fireworks were shooting in the sky at the park

it was thirty-nine years ago
there were fireworks of a different kind
I was a bride of just one day and on my honeymoon
that was a fourth of July, that I will never forget
all of those years passed much too quick
I was widowed much too soon

we built a life, we lived on love, we had a couple of kids
there were hard times as the ups and downs of marriage settled in
I may have taken for granted, that you would always stay
you left too soon, though not your wish, it still came to an end

Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

No comments: