Wednesday, September 9, 2020

country song

I tried to pull it all
from out of thin air
tried to hold you close,
bring you much nearer
my arms came up empty,
like the hope inside of me
you never gave me a reason,
a reason to believe

I hung on with hunger,
you starved me to death
that cold, long winter
when I could see my breath
I couldn't see you through
those frost glazed panes
or in the desert spring
when the monsoons came

I tried to make sense
out of nothing at all
you never tipped your hand
and you dealt the cards
I finally packed my bags
so that I could move on
from what was never here,
from this sad country song
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

3 comments:

P.D. said...

such a deep write, with the feel of strength, enjoyed your write...

Anonymous said...

So much yearning and jaded sadness in this poem, but you wrote it so well. Your line...I hung on with hunger, you starved me to death... is very powerful.

Anonymous said...

I could sing this!