Wednesday, March 10, 2021

one last kiss

one last kiss, one final glass of wine 
put on a favorite song and we dance one last time 
a last wish granted 'tween the front of you and me 
I worked way too hard at what I wanted us to be 

a perfect day ends as the sun is sinkin' low 
evening comes real gentle, like a kiss upon a brow 
it all slips away, it came and went so fast 
I wake from this dream that wasn't built to last 

on the table by my bedside, a book of me and you 
the pages loose from longing and all that came unglued
the final chapter written I close it one more time 
pages filled with tears and a stain of sweet red wine 

that day from long ago sealing what once started 
pieces strewn from east to west but you stay in my heart 
thunder crashed and lightning flashed in a desert sky monsoon 
rain won't wash away what I hold that's left from you 

2 comments:

TAH said...

this is a lovely piece. I like how even with pieces scattered from east to west, you still hold that special someone in your heart.

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful poem!!