Thursday, May 25, 2023

green-eyed monsters

I can’t see around the corners
or what in darkness prevails
but I hear the thuds and bumps at night
and the swoosh from the monster’s tail
I smell the stench of aggressions
that putrid, awful  perfume
it permeates my weaknesses
my senses reel in this room

my eyes can’t see before me
this gloom is way too thick
if I could find some matches
I’d light the candle’s wick
green-eyed is its make-up
and while it lays in wait
no activity for weeks and weeks
as it hones its cheating game

trusting is the flag I wave
virtuous and white
blinding in the daytime
fluorescent in the night
a love that doesn’t grow on trees
or on a prickly vine
am I growing like moss upon you?
or wasting precious time

one last shot to get it right
once more I offer a chance
watching, waiting on I go
doing this sweet, sweet dance
I’ll slay the monsters, one by one
I’ll be the only one left
I’ll stand here just as long I can
drying the tears I’ve wept

No comments: