Tuesday, June 1, 2021

hues

time is ticking slowly on the clock upon the wall
people wander aimlessly, don't understand at all
I only take a minute, press speed dial when I call
my baby doesn't answer, my spirit starts to fall

I know you told me 'bout your plans, but I was in a hurry
just to get to work on time you know I had to scurry
all the reasons that you gave at this time are so blurry
a million thoughts race through my mind so now I start to worry

rainy streets are empty, as I hasten across town
somehow I have this feeling, that I have let you down
my brows are knit together, my lips are one big frown
I pray I'm overthinking and that everything is sound

your truck is in the driveway, the house is dark as pitch
I turn my key inside the lock, fumble with the switch
I'm ready to apologize for being such a bitch
sort it out like laundry, eliminate this glitch

there you are so peacefully, sleeping under covers
I wonder what you're dreaming, laying there in slumber
of all the many winters, and our wonderful summers
even as you rest there, it's my name that you still mumble

quietly, I get undressed and climb in next to you
wondering about the reason that I'm feeling oh so blue
your arms reach out to hold me, what you say is nothing new
all is right within your arms as evening shows its hues
Creative Commons License
Poetry by M.J.B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

No comments: